Friend and associate Greg Randall advises companies on digital strategy, I rate him and follow his blog. He recently did a piece on how to succeed in the digital age. (click link).
Some stats I found fascinating include:
(Source: BNZ Online Retail Sales Index)
2013 total online purchases by Kiwi’s $2.8 billion.
– This comprises 6.2% of traditional retail sales.
– North Island 75% of all online sales.
– Online spend is increasing three times the rate of physical retail sales.
– By 2016 online spending is forecast to hit $5.4 billion.
– New Zealand is losing market share to international retailers.
– 60% of online sales are from local retailers but overseas retailers have shown a 24% increase year on year whereas domestic online sales show a 10% growth.
NZ is going mobile:
• 74% of online users have researched a product/service on their phone.
• 33% of those purchased on their phone.
• 13% have purchased on their tablets (and growing rapidly).
And you have to watch this !
Make sure to chjeck out his full article